Bookmark Jamaica-Gleaner.com
Go-Jamaica Gleaner Classifieds Discover Jamaica Youth Link Jamaica
Business Directory Go Shopping inns of jamaica Local Communities

Home
Lead Stories
News
Business
Sport
Commentary
Letters
Entertainment
Arts &Leisure
Outlook
In Focus
The Star
E-Financial Gleaner
Overseas News
Communities
Search This Site
powered by FreeFind
Services
Archives
Find a Jamaican
Library
Weather
Subscriptions
News by E-mail
Newsletter
Print Subscriptions
Interactive
Chat
Dating & Love
Free Email
Guestbook
ScreenSavers
Submit a Letter
WebCam
Weekly Poll
About Us
Advertising
Gleaner Company
Search the Web!

BoJ beefs up security
New high-tech system to screen visitors

published: Sunday | February 8, 2004


- Rudolph Brown/Staff Photographer
Persons entering the Bank of Jamaica in downtown Kingston being processed through metal detectors.

Avia Ustanny, Gleaner Writer

A NEW, state-of-the-art security system costing about $15 million has been installed at the Bank of Jamaica in Nethersole Place in Kingston.

The system, with electronic security features including an X-ray machine, metal detectors and palm readers, is being implemented in combination with new security reception desk arrangements at the central bank.

Visitors will soon be expected to pass through metal detectors, and the contents of their bags will also be scanned by an X-ray machine.

In early January, proximity readers and palm readers were introduced for staff on a phased basis. The metal detector and X-ray machine are not yet operational, though already installed.

Union representative, the Bustamante Industrial Trade Union's Ruddy Spencer, described the move as "protection against the growing threat of global terrorism", but said that in spite of the new system, management exhibited little direct interest in the safety of staff themselves.

In a letter sent to BoJ Governor, Derick Latibeaudiere last week, Mr. Spencer said staff members were only made aware of a recent bomb threat after sections of the media reported on it.

"Although the Bank of Jamaica's management considered the threats serious enough to alert the police, to our amazement we learnt that at no time were the staff members or their representatives informed of such a threat. The BITU considers the behaviour of the management as insensitive and a flagrant disregard for workers safety," he charged in the letter.

A BoJ spokesperson told The Sunday Gleaner, however, that the installation of the system had nothing to do with any recent incident which has occurred at the downtown Kingston locale.

The security system is an upgrade of the existing security arrangements phased in since the start of 2003. The system will continue to see a phased installation as the year progresses, the BoJ said.

"The new system has replaced manual with electronic access using identification/sensor and some back-ups," the BoJ said.

Asked to respond to the charge that the January implementation had begun with some confusion, the BoJ spokesperson said it would take some time for people to get accustomed to the system. The officer insisted, however, that there had not been any glitches since it was set up.

More Lead Stories | | Print this Page







































©Copyright2003 Gleaner Company Ltd. | Disclaimer | Letters to the Editor | Suggestions

Home - Jamaica Gleaner