CHAVEZ
Venezuela said Monday that it would take control of three foreign-owned cement businesses, including one that is a partner in Jamaica's Caribbean Cement company limited. The Venezuelan Government will, however, allow current owners to keep minority shares.
Oil Minister Rafael Ramirez made the announcement after talks with representatives of Mexico's Cemex SAB, France's Lafarge SA and Switzerland's Holcim Ltd.
Cemex S.A. is the principal of Trinidad Cement limited, which owns a 65 per cent stake in Carib Cement.
President Hugo Chávez announced the nationalisation of the country's biggest cement businesses last week, and Ramirez told state television it could be handled much like the nationalisation of oil projects last year: "That's to say, a share of participation by the Venezuelan state of a minimum of around 60 per cent."
The foreign companies have not yet indicated if they would accept the terms and stay on as minority partners. Ramirez said the talks will lead to "agreements for us to move to a scheme of control".
Chávez said Sunday that he had been contacted by the concerned owners of some small cement businesses in the western state of Zulia, and they have been assured that the nationalisation will not affect them.
"I asked for them to be told that, 'No, what we're going to do is nationalise what was privatised'" in the past, Chávez said. He called those being nationalised "the big cement companies that were taken away, practically given away - those big plants that are property of the state, (and) always have been."
Ramirez said Venezuelan officials told representatives of the foreign companies that they aimed to establish state "control of some basic businesses that are fundamental for carrying out our entire national development plan".
Compensation promised
Chávez has accused foreign-owned cement companies of restricting domestic supply and boosting exports to maximise profits. He has assured the companies they would be fully compensated for their assets.
The cement take-over is Chávez's most significant nationalisation move since last year, when the Government took control of telecommunications and electricity companies, along with the country's last remaining privately run oil projects.
Government officials argue cement supply has been a problem in the past and they note that Venezuela has suffered from a severe housing shortage for decades.
Cemex runs three cement plants in Venezuela that produce about 4.6 million tons annually, as well as 13 distribution centres and four maritime export terminals.
Holcim has two plants that produce three million tons a year. And Lafarge has two plants that produce 1.5 million tons a year, according to the company's website.
On Friday, Holcim spokesman Peter Gysel said the Zurich-based company had not yet been contacted by Venezuelan authorities and Cemex spokesman Gerardo de la Torre also said his company had not been officially notified of the plan.
Miguel Octavio, executive director of BBO Servicios Financieros, a Caracas brokerage, estimated the Venezuelan assets of the three companies are worth US$1.8 billion (€1.1 billion) to US$2.2 billion (€1.4 billion).
- Gleaner and AP