Rasbert Turner, Freelance Writer
SPANISH TOWN, St Catherine:
Plans are afoot to create a $10-million fund to assist women who are victims of violence and other antisocial behaviour, said Olivia 'Babsy' Grange, minister of information, youth, culture and sports.
Grange made the disclosure Saturday on a visit to March Pen Road in Spanish Town, which erupted in protest last week after news spread that an 11-month-old had been killed, allegedly by the police. The Golding administration has committed to footing the funeral bill.
Grange, who has portfolio responsibility for women's affairs, said: "Come April 13, we will be having a woman mediathon where performances and other contribu-tions by female artistes will be broadcast by all media houses."
She claimed that this effort would bolster support for women's centres which assist young girls who have dropped out of school due to pregnancy.
Education campaign
The minister said a massive public education campaign was on the horizon, adding that it would increase women's awareness of available assistance.
"I think some of these women do not know how to get help and, as such, the money that will be raised for them will also be used in this pursuit," she said.
Grange, who was speaking in her St Catherine Central constituency on International Women's Day, said violent crime in the St Catherine North Police Division had resulted in the deaths of six females since January.