
Dr. Ralph Gonsalves Ian Allen/Staff PhotographerKINGSTOWN, St Vincent (CMC):A high Court judge has set February 28 as the date to hear an application for leave for a judicial review of the decision of the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP), Colin Williams, to stop the prosecution of Prime Minister Dr Ralph Gonsalves on rape and indecent allegations charges.Last month, a 36-year-old female police officer swore to a statement before Chief Magistrate Sonia Young, that on January 3, she was raped by Dr Gonsalves at the prime minister's official residence.But the prime minister, who was scheduled to appear in court on February 22 to answer the private criminal charge, has categorically denied the allegations, describing them as "false and malicious".allegation not likely to stand up in court
Williams said he had "wholly discontinued" the charges against Gonsalves, saying that the allegation was not likely to stand up in a court of law."What I have done is in the best interest of justice," Williams told the Caribbean Media Corporation, adding: "When we look at it dispassionately, the question is, could the allegation stand up?"Justice Gertel Thorn set the date on Thursday after hearing submissions from lawyers for the woman, the DPP and the attorney general.